Friday, December 12, 2008

Racism Hits Hollywood Kid's Movie

Watch TV on PC - 12,000 TV Channels and Movies

I thought we had just arrived at a milestone by electing the first black/Muslim President of the United States. However, Hollywood director, M. Night Shyamalan thinks otherwise.
Popular children's show, Avatar the Last Airbender has been signed to air as a live action film in late 2010. Like a normal fan, I scrambled to the internet to find out who was cast to play my favorite characters. To my profound horror, I found this http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51217
I couldn't fathom what Shyamalan was thinking...Casting white people to play Inuit, Asian, and, dare I say it... clearly not-white characters...? I confirmed the blog post as the truth after checking IMDB and I was completely and utterly enraged.
Isn't this considered Racism? Look, I may be jumping the gun but isn't it strange that, despite the actors' cartoon counterparts being of various Asian decent... not a single Asian, black, or Inuit actor/actress has been chosen to fill the roles? A friend of mine commented after hearing the news, "I think what's going to be hilarious is that they are going to need to tan or spray paint their skin to match the look. And you know, THAT'S not insulting at all." Furthermore, I wonder how blond teen pop-sensation idol, Jesse McCartney is going to pull off the role of Prince Zuko (not pictured)
Have we regressed back to the days where white actors painted their faces to play a character of a different race, such as Othello? And this is a kid's film, what is the underlying moral here?

source Watch TV on PC - 12,000 TV Channels and Movies

2 comments:

Shelly said...

For the zillionth time, Barack Obama is not Muslim, he's a Christian.

But thanks for the heads - up on the anti-Asian racism going on in the Avatar movie. I would have gone to seen it but now I'm going to avoid it, and all of Cameron's movies, like the plague.

Unknown said...

I will boycott this movie. Hollywood is racist. Please learn from dragon ball evolution. If you screw up the originality of the characters, you screw up the movie. Make the main characters Asian, for heaven's sake. Keep the consistency of the characters.